I no longer plant my own vegetable garden (thank you deer!) but it hardly matters since I have access to three different farmer’s market close to my home from May through October. I love to wander the stands and load up on corn, tomatoes, herbs, eggs, melons, and baked goods. One of my favorite things to make with my fresh veggies is a summer vegetable tart…..
Prepare the Ingredients
- Make fresh dough or purchase packaged dough or pie shell. Either way, cook the shell at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
- While the shell is baking, use a mandolin or free-hand slice the zucchini, yellow squash, and red onions into thin slices.
- Cut peppers in half, discard seeds and membranes, and thinly slice peppers along width.
- Slice or cut basil into thin shreds – the more basil the better.
- Remove shell from oven and cool slightly (about 10-15 minutes)
Assemble the Tart
- Crumble or spread goat cheese on the bottom of the shell.
- Sprinkle basil over goat cheese.
- Starting on the outside, layer two zucchini, two yellow squash, two onion slices and two red pepper pieces. Continue around the perimeter until you make a complete circle of vegetables.
- Complete veggie circles until you reach the center. Use smaller pieces to fill in center space.
- Sprinkle with more goat cheese and basil.
- Liberally drizzle olive oil over the entire tart.
- Use salt and fresh pepper to your liking.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes (or until tart is golden brown around the edge).